Assessment of Change in Vegetation Index in an Interior Alaska Boreal Forest

Poster Number: 
287
Presenter/Primary Author: 
Rebecca Baird
Co-Authors: 
Teresa Nettleton Hollingsworth
Co-Authors: 
Dave Verbyla

Climate has warmed substantially in boreal Alaska since the mid-1970s. The direct effects of rising temperatures on sub-Arctic ecosystems are already being seen in the form of drought stress, increased fire frequency and severity, and increased frequency and severity of herbivorous insect outbreaks. These effects of climate change should have a direct impact on the vegetation of the boreal forest and can lead to a decreased remotely sensed vegetation index. The vegetation index, NDVI, is an effective proxy for plant photosynthesis on a landscape scale, and therefore, an appropriate measure to examine landscape-scale changes in vegetation due to climate change effects. The overarching goal of my research is to assess the change in vegetation at Bonanza Creek Experimental Forest, and partition these changes into a) expected changes through successional processes, and b) unexpected changes which could be due to climate change. Once I have assessed these changes using a combination of remote sensing and field sampling, I will examine associated patterns in vegetation communities.

Student Poster: 
Yes